Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bad Things Happen to Good People

It's amazing how things can turn around so quickly.  A year and a half ago (when I had only been on one date with RJ), I flew to the Midwest to attend the wedding of a great friend from my California years.  Kristin had been dating Nathan for 4 or 5 years, and everyone was so happy to see them get married!  Within a year of the wedding, they announced they were pregnant!  Kristin wanted to name her baby Bernadette Grace.  The end of February marked a full-term pregnancy for Kristin, and her most recent facebook status indicated how anxious she was to have this baby, followed by 21 comments from friends, cheering her on.

I got a call from her husband today.  They lost their baby.  I don't know a lot of details, but she had to go in for an emergency C-section a few days ago, and I think that's the first they knew anything was wrong.  My friend Arlie told me that they were able to hold little Bernadette briefly.  She had Kristin's nose and Nathan's eyes.  It's just not fair.  I hate this.  I know it's a part of the circle of life, but it really, really hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment